Untitled

This work is a collage done over a vintage typewriting manual, which evokes the destruction and horror of warfare and its absurdity as a megalomaniac compulsion of gluttony in humankind. Dairy and flowers represent women, as the mother is the producer of milk; patriarchal society uses derogatory terms such as "women are as delicate as a flower", the flower is the conductive thread in these series. "Pretty" elements are juxtaposed with raw images of struggle. I used Colombian magazines from the 50's 60's and 70's that I collected in a flea market in Bogotá this summer while visiting; to re write its stories and re interpret its images, as well as few U.S magazines, where I found naked women and ads selling TVs. These worked perfectly as natural contrasts of the bourgeousie dreams and the reality for the majority of the world. I spent over a week doing each one, as I placed the cut outs and re studied them over and over to find the best composition visually and conceptually incorporating the typographic elements organically but choosing carefully which pages of the typewriting manual graphically suited best each image.

Comments

Elvis said…
Taza de café, flores, armas...más que Palestina me suena como a Max Ernst en Colombia
krish.h said…
Beautiful. Is there a contact here for you?
G said…
Muy interesante tu blog! Voy a seguir espiando.
Abrazo desde Córdoba, Argentina.-
Elektra KB said…
krish.h contact me at kb.elektra@gmail.com

Elvis gracias, que buen analisis!
Rosa Apatrida said…
"La guerra, el hambre, el exceso, la gula... la sociedad de la manipulación, la red de este mundo, empalagosa como un libro viejo y su olor."

Tu @-fan
No para Innita said…
me gusta tu tratamiento de los colores en esta serie. a pesar de la temática fuerte, el fondo me produce algo nostálgico y cálido.
fernando said…
Ok, ahora veo que es bastante más complejo que mi percepción inicial, un poco inmediatista...
Por lo que veo estuviste aquí hace poco. Avísame cuando vengas, me gustaría hablar contigo!

Elvis
Anonymous said…
I am so honored to be looking at artwork that has such great weight and impact. I love this work. Hell I love all your work. I found out about you during Art Basel in Miami and your work was exhibited in a small non profit bus outside. I'm glad I went in =) once again AWESOME STUFF!

Popular Posts